What is sous-vide?
Sous-vide is a unique and gentle method of precision low-temperature cooking. Pioneered in France by our chief scientist in 1971, sous-vide creates food that’s more tender, juicy and nutrient-rich than can be obtained by conventional cooking methods. In the sous-vide process, food is vacuum-sealed in pouches, cooked and pasteurized at specific times and temperatures, and then flash frozen or refrigerated to be delivered fresh to one of our preferred retailers. When reheated and plated, the results are simply astounding.
Which foods can be cooked sous-vide?
The vast majority of foods can be cooked sous-vide:
- Meat is ideal for sous-vide, since the entire muscle can be cooked at the same temperature, not just the center
- Tougher cuts of meat, such as the shank and shoulder, greatly benefit from sous-vide
- According to Thomas Keller in his book Under Pressure, sous-vide not only allows tough cuts of meat to be brought to different consistencies, it doesn’t dry out meat the way traditional cooking can
- Chef Keller also touts the benefits of cooking fish through sous-vide: Salmon develops a wonderful texture, and seafood such as lobster and squid, which can become tough using high heat, stays delightfully tender
- Sous-vide also works wonders with vegetables and grains: Vegetables reach an ideal texture while retaining vibrant colors and vital nutrients, and grains such as rice and quinoa come out soft and fluffy with no risk of overcooking
Why is sous-vide better than other cooking methods?
Sous-vide foods are thoroughly slow-cooked at a precise lower temperature. Unlike traditional methods such as roasting or sautéing—which cooks food more on the outside than on the inside—low-temperature cooking prepares food perfectly inside and out. Sous-vide also:
- Removes the frustrating guesswork from cooking, which is a godsend to professional chefs who work at high volume, or home chefs who want to present restaurant-quality food in a short amount of time
- Eliminates the need for additives or preservatives, producing foods that are more natural and minimally processed
- Features deep, intense flavor and less product shrinkage
- Tenderizes and preserves food’s nutritional content; items like meat, poultry and fish can be easily cut with a fork
- Enhances natural flavors so fewer herbs and spices are required
- Frees up a chef to spend more time on side dishes and creative presentation
How are sous-vide products reheated?
Reheating our products is so easy that you don’t really need a kitchen, just a water bath, a convection or “combi” oven or a microwave. Cuisine Solutions foods can be prepared and plated in minutes. All our products are vacuum-sealed before being fully cooked and pasteurized, eliminating all forms of harmful bacteria. Our quality assurance department ensures a high level of safety for all of our products.
Are Cuisine Solutions products cost-effective?
Absolutely. Here’s why:
- Preparing our products does not require ventilation hoods, fryers or other costly kitchen equipment; in fact, you don’t need a kitchen at all—just a non-ventilated oven or microwave
- Many of our products can be used cold for salads and sandwiches, so no reheating is needed
- Our products reduce labor costs because they eliminate prep time and hours in front of the oven
- Our products allow for quick reheating times, so guests receive faster service, and quicker table turnaround times can ultimately increase a restaurant’s revenue
- Because our products come to you already prepared and fully cooked, there’s no waste—just 100 percent usable food
What’s the best way to store your products?
After the sous-vide cooking process, our frozen foods enjoy a 12- to 18-month frozen shelf life. (Our frozen cuisine should be kept frozen until it’s ready to be used or thawed.) Once thawed, all products must be kept refrigerated and should be served within 72 hours.
Are any of your products created for special dietary needs?
Yes. We have the flexibility to meet customers’ dietary needs and have developed special meals with such features as: high fiber, low calories, low carbohydrates, low and no cholesterol, low fat, low and no saturated fat, trans fat–free, low sodium, lactose free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan high-protein.